14 Mysterious Uses of Cucumber
The cucumber is cheap and plentiful throughout the year. It belongs to the melon family and is known for its cooling effects and its high water content. This vegetable originated in India and spread throughout the world. It is easy to grow and can be eaten raw, cooked, pickled and juiced. The vegetable is rich in B vitamins, folic acid, vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, calcium, and zinc. Apart from eating the cucumber, you can also use it for myriad health and beauty uses. Here are some amazing uses for cucumber:
1. Driveaway garden pests naturally – Place cucumber slices on an aluminum tray or plate in various places outdoors. Substances in the cucumber and the aluminum react with one another and act as a natural irritant for the pests.
2. Cellulite – Rub cut cucumber on areas of your body where there is cellulite. Cucumber contains collagen and other substances that help reduce cellulite.
3. Refresh yourself – Eat cucumbers or drink cucumber juice to feel refreshed and drive away fatigue. Cucumber is naturally cooling and hydrating and contains electrolytes that give you an energy boost.
4. Stress reliever – Put cucumber slices in a steamer or hot water bathtub and inhale the fragrance. It acts as a natural stress reliever and will calm you.
5. Bad breath – Cucumber combats bad breath when you eat it thanks to the fact that it is rich in phytonutrients.
6. Shine your stainless steel – Use cucumber to give your stainless steel faucets and other fittings a shine, instead of using harsh chemical products that have many side effects.
7. Shine your shoes – Cucumber also helps shine your shoes easily without the cumbersome process of conventional shoe polish.
8. Blood pressure – Cucumber is high in potassium and acts as a diuretic. It relieves symptoms of high blood pressure thanks to its high water content and potassium.
9. Wrinkles and skin puffiness – Cucumber slices are known to reduce eye puffiness, but a paste of cucumber slices slathered on your face and neck can also reduce wrinkles, blemishes, fine lines, and puffiness, giving your skin a younger look. It also helps reduce tanning and has a minor bleaching effect.
10. Use instead of WD-40 – If you run out of this lubricant that removes the squeak from metals and makes drawers easier to open, simply do the job with a slice of cucumber.
11. Weight loss – Since cucumber is low calorie and full of water, it is ideal for weight loss – it fills you up and yet does not contribute to weight gain.
12. Helps in various diseases – the nutrients in this vegetable combat diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure all of which are contributory factors in cardiovascular ailments.
13. Stain remover – Use pencil and crayon stains with the outer part of the cucumber by rubbing it on the stain.
14. Joint health – The silica in cucumber helps keeps joints and bones healthy and also relieves pain.
So make the best of this plentiful vegetable and make sure you always have some in your refrigerator.
Do you have any cucumber uses that you would like to share?