All foods are not created equal. Bad foods result in malnutrition, low energy levels, obesity and lead to lifestyle diseases. Good foods promote great health, clear skin, longevity, higher energy levels and even promote a feeling of well-being. Superfoods keep you energized, improve immunity levels and stave off diseases. Research shows that some foods are better than others to improve your health.
The 10 foods that should be on your must-have list
It is a given that if you have a lot of processed foods, packaged foods and refined foods you are not eating the right foods. Foods that supercharge your health are foods, that are raw or unprocessed, unrefined and whole foods. If you want to be more energetic, get rid of mental or physical problems that keep you from functioning at your optimum, you need to have a whole lot of super foods that will enable you to be healthier. Among these super foods are:
1. Eggs – these provide high-quality bioavailable protein and are rich in zeaxanthin and lutein, the antioxidants that help reduce vision related problems.
2. Garlic – has antibiotic properties, protects against various infections thanks to its allicin content. It also contains inulin that increases satiety value and helps absorb iron.
3. Nuts – Walnuts are good for the brain and memory and help improve cognitive function. Almonds, too, are high in monounsaturated fatty acids and fiber that help the blood vessels and also lower cholesterol levels. A handful of nuts a day provides valuable nutrition.
4. Seeds – flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds are all high in protein and fiber. They contain B vitamins and iron that you keep you energetic. Chia seeds also provide protection for sensitive stomach and are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that promote heart health.
5. Kale – rich in antioxidants, Vitamins A and C, this leafy green is also packed with iron and other nutrients.
6. Quinoa – known as a super grain, quinoa is easy to cook and is a complete protein food since it contains all the amino acids.
7. Yogurt – this can be had in different variations and you can get a range of yogurts, all of which are good, though Greek yogurt tops the list. It is easy on the digestive system and is full of probiotics, apart from being rich in calcium and protein.
8. Salmon – rich in Omega-3 fats that protect against inflammation, reduce the risk of heart disease, have a protective effect against blood clots and helps boost mental abilities.
9. Berries – blueberries are the best, but other berries are also great for health. They are rich in many antioxidants, high in fiber and Vitamin C, providing great immune support.
10. Beans and lentils – iron, protein, and fiber are all present in different beans and lentils, making them a valuable part of your healthy diet.
Considering that modern-day life comes with its built-in hazards – high-stress levels, low physical activity, environmental toxins, poor dietary choices – you need all the help you can get to stay healthy. You can supercharge your life by eating the right foods and reap the benefits.
Which foods do you eat for health?